Summer Internship Program in Germany
The Cultural Vistas Summer Internship Program in Germany provides an excellent opportunity for students to gain valuable international work skills, improve German language abilities, and experience German life and culture firsthand
Internship placements are available in a variety of fields, including, but not limited to, business, engineering, finance, tourism, IT, media/communications, international relations, the nonprofit sector, German studies, and economics. Internship duration is typically two to three months, with most students completing a three month internship.
Many internships are paid and scholarships are available to qualified participants who receive unpaid internships. Participants will receive a scholarship application following acceptance to the program. A limited number of language course stipends are also available for those who qualify.
Cultural Vistas works with an array of global partner organizations to place participants in professional internships that reflect their background and career goals. Companies range from small family-owned businesses to multinational holdings. For more information about the internship search, please see our FAQ page.
From the application process through your return to the United States, Cultural Vistas will provide you with the following:
- Assistance drafting a German resume (Lebenslauf)
- Customized placement in an internship in your field of study
- Pre-departure packet with tips, hints, and advice on life in Germany
- Financial assistance for unpaid internships through the Cultural Vistas Scholarship Fund (apply separately, based on need)
- Work authorization for Germany
- Health insurance (at an additional cost of $55 per month)
- Language course stipend (apply separately, based on need)
- Housing assistance
- Support in Germany throughout the internship
- Reentry information and tips on marketing international experience to U.S. employers
- December 15, 2016 Application deadline
- January 2017 Interviews take place
- February 2017 Acceptance decisions; Program fee due
- March-June 2017 Placement process (the internship search can take a few weeks to a few months)
- May 2017 Pre-departure information mailing
- May 26-27, 2017 Orientation in Berlin (tentative dates)
- Late May-August 2017 Internship phase
- September 2017 Reentry Toolkit
- Students, international and U.S., enrolled in U.S. colleges and universities and Canadian citizens enrolled in U.S. or Canadian colleges and universities are eligible for the program.
- At least two years of university level studies in the field of your major
- Two years of post-secondary instruction in German or the equivalent (extra language training is available, if needed)
- Practical experience in target internship field (summer employment, prior internship, lab position, etc.) does not need to be extensive, but is preferred. The more experience you have, the more desirable you are to a potential host company.
Applications must be postmarked or submitted online by December 15, 2016.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.